- READER REVIEWS
Mara’s Café and Bakery
Nearby Subway Stops
2, 3, 4, 5 at Borough Hall
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Kids' Menu
- Online Ordering
- No Alcohol
This venue is closed.
For a quick bite that won’t break the bank, Mara’s Café is your spot. The menu is enormous, though most of the food lands on the greasy side of takeout. In the morning, as you parse through all of the different egg dishes, don’t overlook the omelettes. The Egg Smasher is a hard name to ignore, but it gets a little soggy unless you eat it right away. The Black Forest omelette, overflowing with cheese and ham, might be the better hearty choice. Lunch includes typical panini and club sandwiches, but there are also personal pizzas made to order and a chicken potpie for colder days. And the salads and soups—especially the orange chicken salad with toasted almonds and orange slices—offer welcome variety. Mara’s is actually best known for its desserts, and for good reason. The bakery began when Mara decided to take her home-style baking public, and her sweets are comforting. Thick chocolate mousse pies and caramel apple streusel cheesecakes actually melt in your mouth.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu