Nearby Subway Stops
F, G, R at Fourth Ave.-9th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Kids' Menu
- Outdoor Dining
- Full Bar
8th St. to 12th St. Fourth Ave. to Seventh Ave.
This venue is closed.
Mezcal’s may bill itself as authentically Mexican, but the tacky interior is immediately suspect, from the sombrero-topped parrot and Pancho Villa portraits to the dangling bunches of garlic bulbs and chili peppers and a large mustachioed, serape-swathed mannequin. It’s gringo Mexico in full flower, and the food does little to help Mezcal’s case. Tapizayo, which should be a sizzling fajita platter, instead yields tough bits of chicken and iffy filet-mignon morsels; guacamole is mysteriously mixed with lettuce, and bland combo platters aren’t enhanced by stale taco shells and store-bought tortillas. Some may wish to skip the cucina entirely, for one of Mezcal’s 60 tequilas.Recommended Dishes
Sunset margarita, $8
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu