Momofuku Ssäm Bar
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Third Ave.; L at First Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Dine at the Bar
- Hot Spot
- Late-Night Dining
- Notable Chef
- Sake and Soju
- Full Bar
Closed for renovations.
Like Mario Batali and the great British chef Fergus Henderson, David Chang is a card-carrying member of the “Refined Meathead” school of cooking. Meathead chefs have a fondness for pork products and for offal (“We do not serve vegetarian-friendly items,” says the menu at Momofuku Ssäm Bar), and the best of them, including Chang, have a knack for creating big, addictive flavor combinations that get under your skin. Like Batali, Chang—a Korean-American, raised in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.—mines his own ethnic background for inspiration. The past couple of years, he has been demonstrating his talents on a more modest scale at his madly popular original restaurant. But the newest Momofuku (the word means “lucky peach” in Japanese) is larger and more ambitious than the original, and after a period of bumbling experimentation (at first Chang insisted on selling only a form of Asian burrito called a ssäm), it has grown into a showplace for the chef’s unique brand of earthy, Asian-accented Meathead cuisine.
Reservations are only taken for large-format meals.
Best Meal Under $10
The BBQ pork buns are the trendy new East Village version of the Wimpy burger. They're pocket-size, portable, and good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Eat five in one sitting, or maybe ten.
Fried Brussels sprouts, three-terrine sandwich, spicy tripe, warm veal-head terrine, Momofuku Ssäm
Best of New York Awards
- Reasons to Love New York 2011: Because Plus, Where Else Can You Get an $11 Fried Sardine Skeleton?
- Why the Best New Cheap Eats Joint Is Earl’s Beer & Cheese
- Eat Cheap 2011: In the Kitchen at Queens’s Most Exciting New Restaurant, M. Wells
- Adam Platt's Where to Eat 2010
- Eat Cheap 2009: Tasty Sandwich Creations
- Adam Platt's Where to Eat 2009
- Where to Eat 2008
- Keeping Up With the Momofukus
- New York's Best Cheap Eats 2007
- Grade AA: Ten Egg Dishes to Cluck Over
- Radical Chef David Chang and the Plight of the Asian Burrito
- Holiday Parties by the Experts: Fête's Jung Lee, Momofuku's David Chang, and Other Music's Duane Harriott
- Restaurant Openings: Momofuku Ssäm Bar
Recipes at Momofuku Ssäm Bar
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu