- READER REVIEWS
Ode to the Elephants
This venue is closed.
Ode to the Elephants serves “beach Thai food” in the same boardwalk concession stand at Beach 96th Street that Rockaway Taco, Babycakes, Jean Adamson (Vinegar Hill House), and Lindsay Robinson (ex-Diner) share. Chef-owner Kevin Ngosuwan, who operates the stand with designer Kevin Sutavee, learned to cook at his father’s Thai place uptown, Amsterdam Thai, and several months ago opened his own place (also called Ode to the Elephants) in the surfing town of Rincon, in his mother’s native Puerto Rico. The menu is similar here, though here he’ll add Thai-style burgers (with spicy basil sauce, pickled mango sauce, and red onions) as well as hot dogs (with papaya, red onion, lime chile sauce, and relish). To drink (and you will need a drink to battle the authentic spiciness of the Bangkok street-style som tum) there’s Thai iced tea as well as iced lotus tea and a few other varieties.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu