- READER REVIEWS
Mon-Thu, noon-3pm and 5pm-11pm; Fri, noon-3pm and 5pm-11:30pm; Sat, 5pm-11:30pm; Sun, 5pm-11pm
Nearby Subway Stops
F, G at Bergen St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
This venue is closed.
Oishi Oochi does a booming business serving conventional raw fish fare and Japanese entrees, but mostly as takeout or delivery. Dining in-house brings to mind the chicken-or-the-egg conundrum: Is it the sterile surroundings that keep people away, or is it the lack of people that makes the surroundings so sterile? The décor isn't unappealing—bleached-wood tables and chairs, bamboo accents, and Japanese parchment screens—but tame compared to the hyper-stylized Faan and Osaka nearby. This spot proves to be a quiet alternative where diners can find hearty combo rolls and sushi platters with large, sumptuous pieces of fish, as well as solid entrees like the juicy, broiled ginger steak over udon noodles. Among the few surprises are a refreshing appetizer roll of deep-fried eel and mint.Recommended Dishes
Ginger steak, $12.95; downtown roll (eel, crunchy flakes, tobiko), $6.25; sushi platter for two, $27.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu