- READER REVIEWS
On the Grill
98-102 Queens Blvd. ,
Forrest Hills, NY 11375
Sun-Thu, 12:30pm-11pm; Fri-Sat, closed
Nearby Subway Stops
M, R at 67th Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- No Alcohol
Archer Ave. to 84th Dr., Sutphin Blvd. to 133rd St.
This venue is closed.
Packed in among Chinese fast-food joints, Russian dentists, and newsstands, On the Grill tastes straight out of Tel Aviv. The Yemenite-Israeli chef boasts about his chicken shawarma, and rightly so. Thin shavings of chicken, pressed together on a skewer and rotated slowly over an open flame, manage to combine the best aspects of grilling and roasting—the result is smoky and toothsome while still juicy and flavorful. Falafel are crisp and rich, with pleasingly irregular, crunchy interior bits from the made-from-scratch chickpea mixture. Inexplicably, there's an over-the-top wall of Italian-chef caricatures, and you may be eating to a medley of accordion music. But the staff is effusively friendly, and they greet a steady flow of regulars—headscarved babbas, suited rabbis, after-work moms—as if they were family.Recommended Dishes
Falafel, $3.50; shawarma, $14; beef kebab grill, $16
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu