Sun-Wed, 7am-11am, noon-3pm and 5:30-11:30pm; Thu-Sat, 7am-11am, noon-3pm and 5:30pm-12:30am
Nearby Subway Stops
A, C, E at 14th St.; L at Eighth Ave.
American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Hot Spot
- Outdoor Dining
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Design Standout
- Sake and Soju
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
Located in the arid-looking Hotel Gansevoort, mega Japanese food palace Ono is yet another production by that flamboyant restaurant showman Jeffrey Chodorow. The multi-level dining space boasts softly floating paper lanterns, a glass-bottomed sushi bar, and semi-private dining nooks decorated with wall-size paintings of yakuza body tattoos. A perky, knowledgeable "sake sommelier" is on hand to help diners navigate the list of absurdly named sakes, and if you need an old-fashioned wine sommelier, there's one of those, too. The specialty of the house is robata, a fancy name for skewers of meat cooked over an open flame. And if you want a dish that encapsulates the absurd spirit of the modern-day New York Japanese restaurant, order the edamame soup, a viscous, swamp-colored substance poured, with great ceremony, over cubes of tofu carved into the letters o-n-o.Note
Entrance at W. 13th St., between Hudson St. and Ninth Ave.
Mon.-Fri., noon-3 p.m.; three courses, $28
If you're into such things, the fully automated Toto toilet hidden upstairs in the restaurant's second-floor restroom is a technological marvel.
New York Magazine Reviews
- Restaurateur Jailed for Serving Cheap Curry That Killed a Customer
- There’s Now a Restaurant on a Floating Barge in Greenpoint
- New York Times Demands Sheeple Wake Up and Quit Worshipping Breakfast
- Bourdain and Obama Chilled Over Noodles and Beer in Vietnam
- Beyond Meat Debuts Its First ‘Fresh’ Veggie Burger at Whole Foods