- READER REVIEWS
Pompette Bistro and Bar
Nearby Subway Stops
F, G at Carroll St.; F, G at Smith-9th Sts.
- Dine at the Bar
- Design Standout
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Pompette is a bright addition to the quaint south end of Court Street. With a light birch interior, it’s a bit like walking into a fancy tree house. The dining room is a straight shot through to a back patio, with a full bar glistening in the middle. The small tables for two make for an intimate dinner; it’s a good date spot. For appetizers, the charcuterie plates are small but pricey, so perhaps choose the creative house salads like the smoked duck, arugula, and walnut medley. The entrées are superb and slow-cooked in a traditional French style: The baby chicken is tender and juicy with a perfectly crispy skin on a bed of mashers and buttered green beans. The hanger steak—tender bites of prime cut with a mound of fries—is also highly recommended, but you might consider a green side to go along with so much starch. The green beans and almonds pair nicely with the steak, and the Brussels sprouts come in a medley of sweet potatoes, apples, and pistachios. The rich desserts are wonderfully simple accents on the meal: crème brulee or chocolate mousse. Cocktails like “the Scoundrel” (bourbon, honey, lemon, bitters) and “the Spitfire” (brandy, pear syrup, lemon, white wine) are also excellent.Recommended Dishes
Baby chicken, $18; hanger steak frites, $22
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s