Nearby Subway Stops
N, Q, R at Fifth Ave.-59th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Dine at the Bar
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
In 2008, seven years after Emmanuel Verstraeten opened the first Rouge Tomate in Brussels, the onetime Mercedes-Benz salesman expands to New York, where he aims to indoctrinate us into the lofty ways of S.P.E. (Sanitas Per Escam, or Health Through Food). While this might sound like a fancy way of saying spa food, S.P.E. is actually a “nutritional charter,” espousing “social and environmental consciousness” and “a balanced approach to sourcing and preparing food.” Boulud and Robuchon alum Jeremy Bearman collaborated with an in-house nutritionist on dishes like curried carrot broth with black-pearl tapioca, and lettuce-and-root-vegetable cassoulet. The former Nicole Farhi store is now an airy street-level café with a downstairs dining room and à la carte and prix fixe pricing, and a bar that dispenses fresh juice and artisanal cocktails.
Best of New York Awards
- Rouge Tomate’s Cucumber Cooler
- Adam Platt's Where to Eat 2009
- New York Restaurant Openings: The Oak Room, Rouge Tomate, and West Branch
Recipes at Rouge Tomate
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu