Royale Cafe + Pastry
This venue is closed.
Semi-camouflaged beneath a sign for the defunct Sammy’s Noodle Shop, Royale is a product of its proximity to P.S. 41, around the corner. That’s where the daughters of both of Royale’s partners attend kindergarten, and where much of the café’s afternoon business comes from. “We’re getting a great response from the parents, not as much from the kids,” says Rafi Avramovitz, who stocks the display case with confections from Baked in Red Hook, where he’s also a partner. They’re among several local products the shop sells: Saratoga water, GuS soda, and Gimme! coffee, from the Ithaca-based outfit that also trains Royale’s baristas. Avramovitz says his architect wife, Ravit, did wonders with the spot’s tiny size and odd triangular configuration. “There’s even room for moms with strollers.”
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More