Nearby Subway Stops
L at First Ave.; 6 at Astor Pl.; N, R, W at 8th St.-NYU
- Late-Night Dining
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Sojou
Houston St. to 25th St., Ave. C to Sixth Ave.
This venue is closed.
Since a move around the corner onto First Avenue in 2004, the old Sandobe, a tiny dive with twice as much sushi as other joints for half the price, is scarcely recognizable. The new space is long and bright, with three high-ceilinged dining areas and a square, neon-color light embedded in every table. The new menu includes both Japanese and Korean dishes. The enormous, crabmeat-filled House Special sushi rolls are crowned with any combination of yellowtail, salmon, tuna, eel and avocado. Sashimi can be ordered Korean-style, tossed with salty fish roe and hot sauce over shredded radish, for a refreshing take on the standard Japanese preparation. The other Korean choices, including a half-dozen flavors of jeon, or pancake, and rice-based bibimbob, are less appealing; the plentiful and inexpensive sushi are still the main act.Recommended Dishes
Justin roll, $5.50; Amy roll, $9.50; Korean-style tuna sashimi, $9.50
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu