Mon-Fri, 11:30am-3pm and 5pm-10:30pm; Sat-Sun, noon-3pm and 5pm-10:30pm
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 77th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
60th St. to 96th St., York Ave. to Fifth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
For a fancy Shanghai feast, head to this Upper East Side Chinese restaurant. My discerning banker friends always call the day before to order the Beggar's Chicken, although when I wandered in off the street with a friend from Shanghai, a feast materialized before our eyes. It was composed of an opening salvo of soup dumplings, followed by tender pieces of carp belly served up in a slightly peppery red sauce. There were nuggets of sugary, crispy-fried baby chicken, that great Shanghai specialty, sauteed snow-pea leaves, and, for dessert, a bite or two of fried soup made with cubes of jellied chestnuts, which look like candy but turn to liquid as they dissolve in the mouth.
Best of New York Awards
- Hundreds of Frozen Foods at Costco, Walmart, and Trader Joe’s Recalled Over Listeria Fears
- America Finally Realizing Subway’s Sandwiches Aren’t Very Good
- Supreme Court Won’t Stand in the Way of Seattle’s $15 Minimum Wage
- Congress Introduced a Bill to Keep Journalists From Snooping Around Big Food
- A Farming Cartoonist Was Fired for Joking About Big Agriculture