Mon-Fri, 11:30am-3pm and 5pm-10:30pm; Sat-Sun, noon-3pm and 5pm-10:30pm
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 77th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
60th St. to 96th St., York Ave. to Fifth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
For a fancy Shanghai feast, head to this Upper East Side Chinese restaurant. My discerning banker friends always call the day before to order the Beggar's Chicken, although when I wandered in off the street with a friend from Shanghai, a feast materialized before our eyes. It was composed of an opening salvo of soup dumplings, followed by tender pieces of carp belly served up in a slightly peppery red sauce. There were nuggets of sugary, crispy-fried baby chicken, that great Shanghai specialty, sauteed snow-pea leaves, and, for dessert, a bite or two of fried soup made with cubes of jellied chestnuts, which look like candy but turn to liquid as they dissolve in the mouth.
Best of New York Awards
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s