Nearby Subway Stops
1 at Houston St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
For Josh Eden, chef-partner of Shorty’s.32, there is no shame in comfort food. The New York native spent twelve years working for Jean-Georges Vongerichten, from whom he learned this vital lesson: “The day you cook for your customers and not yourself is the day you learn to be a chef.” Hence, the burger and steak-frites on his New American menu, the $19 roast chicken, and the desire to build a true neighborhood clientele. At any restaurant that ultimately succeeds, he says, “your customers live upstairs. They live down the street.” And to keep them coming back, he’s given straightforward dishes a dash of refinement with seasonal dishes like the roasted cod with Gruyère broth, the warm chocolate cake with a passion fruit sorbet, and the steamed black sea bass with quinoa and pickled beets. With this modest 32-seat restaurant, Eden has not only become a first-time restaurateur, he’s also embraced the none-too-flattering nickname given to him years ago by onetime JoJo chef de cuisine Didier Virot. “Shorty’s just sounds like a good place to eat,” Eden says.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More