- READER REVIEWS
Smooch Organic Cafe and Wine Bar
Nearby Subway Stops
G at Clinton-Washington Aves.; C at Lafayette Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Dine at the Bar
- Live Music
- Outdoor Dining
- Tea Time
- Beer and Wine Only
After deciding that there was no decent coffee in Fort Greene, Aussie ex-pat Basquali (he scoffs at surnames) and his partner Kalalea opened Smooch, a super laid back 95-percent-organic café and wine bar. Aside from expertly pulled and potent espresso made from fair-trade Indonesian beans, folks crowd the slim and comfy pillow-strewn space for salads and sandwiches. But if you crave nourishment alongside your Twelve Dollar Latte (it’s really just $5—one example of Smooch’s cheek), you should know that the cooked food is prepared on hot plates by your barista so it doesn’t always arrive quickly. Stick with something sweet for your bitter like a slice of vegan chocolate cake. Quirky décor like mirrored cushions on a zebra-patterned settee and a massive bird’s nest-cum-chandelier keep the feel eclectic, as does the music that ranges from Primal Scream to Beyoncé and Beck.
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?