- READER REVIEWS
Souen East Village
Mon-Sat, noon-11pm; Sun, noon-10pm
Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Online Ordering
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
Delancey St. to 20th St., Ave. C to University Pl.
- Order Delivery with delivery.com
Until recently, vegetarians and vegans have been rudely excluded from the ramen hysteria that’s overtaken the city, with its fatty pork parts adrift in unctuous pork-bone broths. To the rescue comes Souen, the macrobiotic stalwart that’s spawned a noodle outpost on Curry Row in the East Village. Here amid the chicken tikka masala hawkers is a bright, cheerful oasis where the menu abstains not only from red meat, eggs, and dairy but also refined chemicals and preservatives. Seitan, they’ve got. Not to mention yuba, sesame tofu, edamame guacamole, and a steaming bowl of miso-based curry ramen ($14) crammed with slivered squash, kale, napa cabbage, and carrots that’s so satisfying the staunchest pork-bone partisan won’t feel (too) deprived.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu