South Brooklyn Pizza
Nearby Subway Stops
L at First Ave.; 6 at Astor Pl.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Late-Night Dining
- Delivery after 10pm
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Jim McGown, owner of PJ Hanley's pub and its pie-factory spinoff, extends his nascent beer/pizza/chocolate chip cookie empire across the river and into the East Village. The original South Brooklyn Pizza is a tiny alcove housing little more than a register and an oven, and this cramped Village branch follows suit but goes one step further: Its interior features a (tiny) dining area complete with a red velvet rope, an antique fireplace, and a circle of tables for two, as well as a full bar. Slices here are both better made and, at $4, more expensive than those of local competitors. Full pies aren't cheap, either, but they are large, chewy, and delicious, and their toppings are generous in quantity, if limited in scope. SBP's menu, which once featured only the classic margherita pie, has undergone a modest expansion: Vegan and Sicilian pies, as well as garlic knots and cookies, now complement the standard DiFaro, with a thick five-cheese blend topped by a healthy smattering of basil leaves.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s