Nearby Subway Stops
A, C, E at Canal St.; 1 at Franklin St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Brunch - Weekend
- Business Lunch
- Good for Groups
- Singles Scene
- Online Ordering
- Delivery after 10pm
- Full Bar
Murray St. to Canal St., Centre St. to Greenwich St.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
Though you might find a traveling rugby team from Limerick dropping by for pints, this isn't a pure-blooded Irish place. Only one of the bar/restaurant's owners, John Griffin, is from Ireland. His partner, Roger Herr, is a Texan, which accounts for the whiffs of down-home nostalgia (not to mention the signs for John Deere tractors). South's meaty menu is similarly multi-national: Beer-battered fish-and-chips and shepherd's pie hold it down for Griffin's motherland, while heaping plates of fried chicken and blackened catfish might as well come with mini-American flags. (The chef, go figure, is Jamaican.) The food is uniformly simple, hearty and fairly unspectacular, but the prices are blue-collar honest, which in TriBeCa, is exceptional indeed. South's is named after the bar's original owner, Seamus South, an Irishman whose uncle owned the South's featured in Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes.Brunch
Sat.-Sun., noon–5 p.m.; Tex-Mex and Irish breakfast options
Kitchen closes at midnight.
Fried chicken, $15; sirloin burger, $12; shell steak, $23
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?