Sushi of Gari
Mon, 5pm-10:45pm; Tue-Sat, 5pm-11:15pm; Sun, 5pm-9:45pm
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 77th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Notable Chef
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
72nd St. to 86th St., FDR Dr. to Lexington Ave.
Sushi snobs are an imperious bunch, but mention the name Masatoshi "Gari" Sugio in their midst and they begin squealing like a bunch of boy-band groupies. At his small, uniquely Japanese establishment, he marinates raw fish in sake, spikes it with creamy tofu mayonnaise, and singes it with his trusty butane blowtorch. Such innovations may be common these days, but they're rarely equaled. When you've finished your sushi, indulge in a bowl of tempura-fried ice cream.
Best of New York Awards
- 12 Session Beers That Are Perfect for Summer Guzzling
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument