Mon-Fri, 11am-3pm and 5pm-11pm; Sat, 5pm-11:30pm; Sun, 5pm-11pm
Nearby Subway Stops
1 at Christopher St.-Sheridan Sq.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Online Ordering
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
Canal St. to 25th St., Fifth Ave. to West St.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
At some point in time, sushi morphed into spectacle, with celebrity chefs, extravagant ingredients, and slick interiors just like movie sets. Sushi West harkens back to an era when raw fish was exotic enough to intrigue New Yorkers without all the trappings. Here, the décor and the cuisine are similarly insulated from fashion: The small dining room’s orange-painted walls and dark-wood paneling are decorated with Japanese prints and contemporary photos; the menu favors traditional dishes like shrimp tempura, chicken teriyaki, and beef sukiyaki. The draw, however, remains sushi—fresh and competently prepared. Those seeking high-art renditions of the California roll should take themselves somewhere else.Recommended Dishes
Manhattan roll, $9.95; sushi and sashimi combination for one, $17.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu