- READER REVIEWS
Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm; Sat, 8am-7pm; Sun, 9am-6pm
Nearby Subway Stops
7 at Vernon Blvd.-Jackson Ave.; 7 at Hunters Point Ave.; G at 21st St.
- No Alcohol
Light pours in from the tall front windows at this diminutive café opened in the spring of 2008; if you can find a seat on the shabby-chic banquette, the triangularly shaped room makes for a cozy place to linger. MacBooks and feathered copies of the Sunday Times litter tiny antique tables. The coffee here is brewed from Stumptown beans, and there’s also Rishi tea on offer. Coffee blends rotate, but the Hair Bender espresso is a constant. Shots of the stuff are pulled from a Florentine La Marzocco espresso machine named DorothyŚcustomized with controlled settings that deliver consistently delicious drinks. For nibbles, there’s a rotating selection of housemade mini-muffins and cookies; the particularly cakey oatmeal-raisin-and-walnut cookies are as fat as a ball of ice cream. If you want something more substantial, the buttery ham-and-Gruyère croissant is delicately flaky but no less filling.
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Dizengoff, Olmsted, G├╝nter Seeger, and More
- A Trailblazing Chef Arrives in NYC With This Ambitious New Restaurant
- Sauvage, From the Maison Premiere Team, Debuts in Greenpoint
- Australia Got Its Own Naked Restaurant
- Here’s What Bourdain Learned by Eating Noodles With President Obama