Mon-Fri, 11:30am-10pm; Sat-Sun, noon-10pm
Nearby Subway Stops
B, D, F, M at 42nd St.-Bryant Park
- Online Ordering
- Beer and Wine Only
30th St. to 49th St., Madison Ave. to Seventh Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
Its name may be generic, but Szechuan Gourmet is anything but ordinary. This eatery is the antithesis of stuck-in-the-eighties Szechuan chains that proffer limp sesame noodles and lame hot and sour soup. While its menu caters to local tastes, the restaurant has made an atypical-for-Chinatown attempt at atmosphere: Soft lighting, decorative red paper lanterns and damask-cushioned chairs invite diners to savor the outstanding food such as peppery minced pork with clear noodles. Dishes are generously spiced, but tender sea bass in a honeyed-ginger sauce banks the fires of red-chili-blanketed fried chicken chunks or garlicky pork.
Minced pork with clear noodle, $5.95; deep-fried diced chicken with chili peppers, $12.95; sweet and sour crispy seabass, $20.95
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu