Nearby Subway Stops
F, J, M, Z at Delancey St.-Essex St.
- Brunch - Weekend
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Great Desserts
- Outdoor Dining
- Online Reservation
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
The Clerkenwell has a more authentic English background than other gastropubs that have followed the Spotted Pig. Chef Shay Kelly spent nine years cooking in London and two more in Australia before coming Stateside to open this spot in spring 2009. A pleasing hodgepodge of antique furnishings makes for a comfortable ambiance that verges on upscale: black leather banquettes, a stamped-tin ceiling, and a bird motif painted on one wall. It’s a mix that works, and, when the lights are dimmed at certain hour, there’s something spot-on about the ambiance that makes up for the not-quite-as-reliable menu. Kelly sometimes struggles with lighter foods. While lackluster dressing doomed a Caesar salad and prawns came out overcooked, the breaded goat cheese salad with pickled baby beets and hazelnuts had the right interplay of sour, sweet, crunchy, and creamy. A pea-and-leek tart topped with poached egg bears an ideally flaky crust and slightly gelled yolk. For dessert, a stellar sticky toffee pudding is sweet and salty, with a texture somewhere between cake and custard.
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu