- READER REVIEWS
The Meatball Shop
Sun-Wed, noon-2am; Thu-Sat, noon-4am
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Bedford Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Full Bar
Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow's early plan to serve meatballs out of a takeout window evolved into an obsession to focus on meatballs exclusively. And thus was born the idea for the Meatball Shop: a counter-service operation with a build-your-own-meal menu, featuring five kinds of two-ounce, house-ground balls (plus a weekly special), various sauces, and a range of options (slider flights, heroes, pastas, and sides). As befits Holzman, a chef who’s worked at San Francisco’s Campton Place and SPQR (whose sister restaurant, A16, is known for its Meatball Mondays, incidentally), ingredients are well sourced, including beef from Creekstone Farms and prosciutto from La Quercia. The look is Old New York, with reclaimed wood and antique milk bottles. For dessert, Chernow’s wife makes ice cream sandwiches. The cumulative effect: a retro vibe for a thoroughly modern meatball.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More