- READER REVIEWS
The Meatball Shop
Sun-Thu, 11:30am-2am; Fri-Sat, 11:30am-4am
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Bedford Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Reservations Not Required
- Full Bar
Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow's early plan to serve meatballs out of a takeout window evolved into an obsession to focus on meatballs exclusively. And thus was born the idea for the Meatball Shop: a counter-service operation with a build-your-own-meal menu, featuring five kinds of two-ounce, house-ground balls (plus a weekly special), various sauces, and a range of options (slider flights, heroes, pastas, and sides). As befits Holzman, a chef who’s worked at San Francisco’s Campton Place and SPQR (whose sister restaurant, A16, is known for its Meatball Mondays, incidentally), ingredients are well sourced, including beef from Creekstone Farms and prosciutto from La Quercia. The look is Old New York, with reclaimed wood and antique milk bottles. For dessert, Chernow’s wife makes ice cream sandwiches. The cumulative effect: a retro vibe for a thoroughly modern meatball.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s