Mon-Fri, 11:30am-3pm and 5pm-10pm; Sat-Sun, noon-10pm
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 28th St.; N, R at 28th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Beer and Wine Only
23rd St. to 33rd St., First Ave. to Tenth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
In India, tiffin wallahs are delivery boys, but not the kind we're used to. There, they ferry stacked stainless-steel bowls of food home-cooked by wives to their toiling husbands, not cartons of Chinese food to apartment-dwelling couch potatoes. Hoping to revive the custom here in slightly modified form, Pradeep Shinde opened the new vegetarian Indian restaurant Tiffin Wallah right around the corner from his Chennai Garden, with an almost identical menu and a $7 lunch buffet. Shinde plans to institute a limited delivery menu, with individual meals (appetizer, salad, two curries, bread, rice, and dessert) or a week’s worth to be cooked by a designated delivery chef and ordered online. But even without the delivery component, Tiffin Wallah in its current incarnation is a worthy addition to the Curry Hill landscape, with bright, modern decor and a selection of thalis, chats, dosas, and curries all priced at a dollar discount from Chennai Garden.Reservations
Reservations are not accepted during the week for lunch.
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu