Tofu on 5th Ave.
Mon-Thu, 11:30am-10:30pm; Fri-Sat, 11:30am-11pm; Sun, noon-10:30pm
Nearby Subway Stops
F, G, R at Fourth Ave.-9th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Online Ordering
- No Alcohol
Prospect Ave. to Union St., Prospect Park West to Third Ave.
- Order Delivery with grubhub.com
Specializing in healthy Chinese takeout of the mock-meat variety, this unassuming eatery (formerly known as Tofu on 7th before it moved two blocks over) has been in business since 1997. And though the space itself is bland the meals are surprisingly flavorful. Tasty golden nuggets of soy comprise the vegetarian sesame chicken, an entrée that arrives coated, not drenched, in a tangy-sweet sesame sauce over a bed of bamboo-steamed broccoli. Such restraint is evident in many of the vegetarian versions of popular Chinese-American staples. There’s just the smallest quantity of pure vegetable oil used in the preparations of mock-meat and faux-fowl and fish. While no less than three pages of the menu are devoted to such veggie-based creations, carnivores need not despair. Straightforward chicken, beef, and pork dishes are also available, as is sushi.Recommended Dishes
Vegetarian sesame chicken, $11.95; vegetarian orange beef, $11.95; Buddhist tofu delight, $10.95
- The Rise of the Power Sushi Restaurant
- 25-Ton Potato Spill Blocks Off North Carolina Highway for Hours
- Man Who Sprayed Rodenticide in Whole Foods Believed People Were Trying to Poison Him
- Columbia Tells Student He’s Done Running That Restaurant in His Dorm Room
- Kings County Distillery’s Tasting Room Opens Tonight With Whiskey Pops, Manhattans, and More