Tonalli Café & Bar
Mon-Fri, 11am-midnight; Sat-Sun, 10:30am-midnight
Nearby Subway Stops
1 at 145th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Full Bar
- Order Delivery with grubhub.com
Tonalli opened along a stretch of Broadway, in Hamilton Heights, that’s one of the most heavily concentrated Kentucky/Crown Fried Chicken areas in town. Actually, the owner, Angel Tenesaca, is Ecuadorian, and owns two nearby restaurants (Trufa, serving continental fare, and Picante Bar & Lounge, which has a Mexican menu). Ain’t that America! So why open a restaurant serving what he calls “renovated Italian” cuisine? “The neighborhood is dramatically changing,” says Tenesaca. “There are a lot of American people and students coming, and the neighborhood needs something different. Right now it’s only a choice of Latin food.” His team includes manager Derrick Monahan (a Red Rooster vet) and chef Omar Antonio, who has created a menu heavy on homemade pastas (fettuccini with Black Angus Bolognese; rigatoni alla puttanesca) and Panini (prosciutto with roasted red peppers; grilled vegetables with arugula). As for the best dish, Tenesaca reckons it’s (what else?) the burger.
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More
- Two Men Indicted in Massive French Laundry Wine Robbery