Nearby Subway Stops
J, Z at Bowery; F at Second Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Beer and Wine Only
Rivington St. to 14th St., Ave. C to Third Ave.; Stuyvesant Town
This venue is closed.
Bob Giraldi has converted his East Village gastropub E.U. into a Neapolitan-style pizzeria. There’s a bit of backstory. First, his collaborator in this venture, Bread’s Luigi Comandatore, was planning to team up with Giraldi in this very location before Giraldi went the gastropub route with Jason Hennings. Second, Giraldi’s onetime partner, fellow adman turned restaurateur Phil Suarez, has coincidentally just backed Jim Lahey in the Chelsea pizzeria Co. For now, the only thing hungry New Yorkers care about is the individual-size pies, baked by pizzaiolo Michele Sceral in a wood-burning oven equipped with a newfangled stone pivot. “The pies will only need to rotate once to be perfectly cooked,” says oven builder Nobile Attie, who’s also done work for Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Peasant’s Frank DeCarlo. In addition to fifteen kinds of pizza, from Margherita to shrimp-arugula-and-Parmigiano, Tonda offers salads, focaccia, and “Neapolitan street food” like arancini and fried calamari—plus a largely Italian wine list and local delivery.
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?