Nearby Subway Stops
A, C, E at 14th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Brunch - Weekend
- Late-Night Dining
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
Bank St. to 29th St., Fifth Ave. to Tenth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
Although this American bistro has become an exemplar of Chelsea—its clientele a mixture of gay, cultured, and gay and cultured—The Viceroy was actually a bit of a vanguard back in 1993. That was just before an explosion of art galleries officially shifted the neighborhood from gay to gay and upscale. (If you look out the restaurant’s wall of windows you can still see the neighborhood’s less-than-fabulous past represented by way of an animal hospital and a car service.) But true to the restaurant's pure Chelsea pedigree, the space, the food, and even the staff are tastefully done up: the interior is all mirrors, dark wood, and mustard sponged walls with Art Deco trimmings; the menu favors hanger steak, pork chops, grilled salmon, and organic chicken. Should the lousy acoustics leave you fearful a nearby listener will overhear your shouted confession, come again for the brunch, which clinches the Viceroy’s status as the strip’s southernmost signpost before Banana Republic takes over.
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long
- New York Accuses Domino’s of Helping Franchisees Steal Workers’ Wages