- READER REVIEWS
Wonder City Coffee & Donuts
Nearby Subway Stops
L at First Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Reservations Not Required
- No Alcohol
This venue is closed.
Even though Jeremy Spector is happily ensconced at his East Village restaurant, the Brindle Room, he hasn’t forsaken his hobby of creating fast-food concepts. First there was haute hot-doggery Dogmatic Dogs; now, there’s Wonder City Coffee & Donuts, a breakfast prototype in his dining room. Inspired in part by the proliferation of Dunkin’ Donuts shops in the hood (five within a six-block radius!), Spector and partner Tiffany Dorman tossed out their espresso machine, built a pour-over coffee bar, and schooled themselves in the art and science of single-cup filter-drip brewing.
The Plowshares and Gimme! coffee is bright, fresh, and nicely balanced, but it’s the old-fashioned sinkers that really stand out. They’re slightly crisp on the outside and light and airy within. In homage to the old Spudnuts chain, Spector achieves this exquisitely springy texture by adding mashed potatoes to the dough, and offers three toppings: caramel, chocolate-hazelnut, and powdered sugar. Taking a page out of Totonno’s playbook, he plans to serve them hot each morning until the dough runs out.
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More
- Two Men Indicted in Massive French Laundry Wine Robbery
- Lucky Peach’s Chris Ying Follows Strangers for Late-Night Papas Rellenas
- Enrique Olvera Opening Casual Mexican Spot in Noho