Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 12:11AM Watch John Boehner ‘Theatrically Mock’ Fellow Republicans on Immigration Reform
- 6:32PM Girls Pretending South Brooklyn Is Iowa
- 5:19PM Elmo Puppeteer Cleared of Sexual Abuse Charges
- 5:16PM Way Too Many Dead Cats Found Hanging From Trees in Westchester
- 4:46PM Drunk NYPD Officer Accidentally Shot His Partner
- 4:00PM Notorious KKK Leader Frazier Glenn Miller Was Once Caught Doing ‘Rather Salacious’ Things With a Black Male Prostitute
- 3:35PM Baby Gorillas Now Doing Cute Things at the Bronx Zoo
- 2:27PM MTA Driver Used Bus to Pick Up $3 Million Worth of Heroin
- 1:56PM Vice Reporter Simon Ostrovsky Freed in Ukraine: ‘They Were Looking for Me’
- 1:12PM Cliven Bundy’s Racist Rant Captured on Video, Obliterating Claim He Was Misquoted, Not Racist
- 1:03PM Frank Rich on the National Circus: How the New Gay-Marriage History Book Forgets the History of Gay Marriage
- 12:50PM Ranking John Sterling’s New Catchphrases From Least to Most Insane