Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 11:47AM Using Synthetic Weed Is Still a Bad Idea
- 10:55AM NYPD Officers to See What Their Los Angeles Counterparts Are Up To
- 10:50AM The de Blasios, Home From Italy, Finally Moved Into Gracie Mansion
- 10:19AM Times Square Superhero Crackdown Continues; 5 More Arrested, Including Captain America
- 10:00AM New York Magazine Competition No. 27: Near-Miss Greeting Cards
- 9:15AM Is Paul Ryan Still Paul Ryan?
- 3:27AM U.N. Security Council Calls for Immediate Cease-fire Between Israel and Hamas
- 1:36AM Lawmakers Finally Hammer Out a Plan to Fix the VA System
- 11:46PM 2 American Aid Workers Have Contracted Ebola in Liberia
- 9:00PM Why Fans Are Now More Into Free-Agent Negotiations Than Games
- 5:40PM Boko Haram Kidnaps the Vice–Prime Minister of Cameroon’s Wife
- 4:30PM Drunk Man Accidentally Runs Over Friend Who Refused a Ride Home