Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 5:02PM Hardware-Store Owner Amends ‘No Gays Allowed’ Sign to Make It ‘Nicer’
- 4:16PM The Knicks Are Being Left Out of the Free-Agency Fun So Far
- 4:09PM Manhattan’s Real-Estate Stalemate
- 4:00PM The Justice Department Is Investigating Why Your Vacation Flights Cost So Much
- 3:25PM Everyone Is Taking Selfies in the White House Today
- 3:02PM Hillary Clinton Has Been Raising Record Amounts of Money
- 1:40PM Alleged Drug Dealer Specially Ordered ‘Keep Kids Drug Free’ License Plate
- 12:00PM NYPD Fails to Notice Guy With Selfie Stick on Top of Brooklyn Bridge
- 11:04AM U.S. Embassy in Cuba Set to Reopen by the End of July
- 9:50AM Only Man Alive After Prison Break Insists He Was the Brains Behind the Operation
- 9:19AM Bad Weather Turns Girl Scouts White House Campout Into Conference-Room Campout
- 8:00AM Jean Nouvel Is a Master Without a Style