Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 1:27PM Olive Garden Has Middle-Class Problems
- 1:14PM California High School Changes Racist Arab Mascot to ‘Mighty’ Arab
- 12:58PM Florida States Suspends Accused Rapist Two Quarters for Screaming ‘F*ck Her Right in the P*ssy’
- 12:55PM Gigantic Graffiti Mansion on Bowery Sells, Probably Becoming Condos
- 12:11PM Petition Fails to Convince School to Let Student Use Laser Cat Photo As His Senior Portrait
- 11:24AM Colorado Wants People to Be Better at Getting Stoned Than Maureen Dowd Is
- 10:56AM Kazoo Enthusiast Jim Dolan Needs Your Help Setting a World Record
- 10:45AM Joe Biden Accidentally Used an Anti-Jewish Term
- 10:05AM Cops Target Times Square Elmo in 10-Officer Sting, Then Brag About It on Twitter
- 10:00AM Man Who Wants to Live Forever on an Ocean Platform by Himself Accuses Twitter of Being Stoned
- 9:37AM American Man Tries to Swim to North Korea to Chill With Kim Jong-un
- 9:34AM All the Americans Who Have Tried (and Failed) to Join ISIS So Far