Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 5:52PM In India, the Gods Are Watching You Pee in Public
- 5:30PM Horse Leads NYPD on Medium-Speed Car Chase Around Manhattan
- 4:22PM Republican John Kasich Just Got Extremely Real on Obamacare
- 4:09PM Colorado Hates Happiness, Wants to Ban Pot Brownies
- 4:03PM The Tweets of Sayreville: Students React to the Football Hazing Scandal
- 3:15PM The Most Ignorant American Ebola Panic of the Moment
- 1:59PM Born Today? You Win $500!
- 1:00PM Everyone Loves This Emotional Monica Lewinsky Speech on Sexism and Cyberbullying
- 12:41PM Tut Ugly
- 11:59AM Scientists Stumble Upon a Horrifying Spider the Size of a Puppy
- 11:46AM NYC Knows You’re a Selfish Asshole
- 11:41AM New York Competition No. 33: My Favorite Band’s Getting Old