Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 6:26PM Legalize This Now!
- 6:08PM Paul Ryan Isn’t Afraid to Send You to Bed Without Dinner if You Don’t Do Your Poverty Homework
- 5:59PM 72-Hour Unconditional Humanitarian Cease-fire Reached in Gaza
- 5:21PM Signs in Hasidic Brooklyn Suggest Dressing Modestly; Women Not Having It
- 3:55PM You Probably Shouldn’t Travel to Places With Ebola, Says CDC
- 3:51PM George W. Bush Loves His Dad So Much He’s Writing a Book About Him
- 2:41PM Ted Cruz Punks John Boehner Again, This Time on Immigration
- 2:30PM CIA Admits It Spied on Senators, After Insisting It Didn’t
- 1:40PM Everything Reminds Wall Street Journal Columnist of Hitler
- 1:02PM Broken Window Rains Glass on Midtown
- 12:47PM This Stoner Dude Claims He Masterminded the White Flags on the Brooklyn Bridge. He Probably Didn’t, But Just Look at Him.
- 12:07PM Ruth Bader Ginsburg Knows All About the Notorious R.B.G. Meme