Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 2:50AM Police Respond to Noise Complaint, Find Heroin Mill
- 1:35AM In First Interview, Adam Lanza’s Father Says He ‘Would Have Killed Me in a Heartbeat’
- 11:40PM Liam Neeson: Bill de Blasio Should Have ‘Manned Up,’ Visited Carriage Horses
- 9:48PM Ezra Klein’s Vox.com Aims to Make Readers Like the ‘Vegetables’ of Journalism
- 5:19PM Rob Ford Attempted to Turn Back Time
- 3:12PM Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan Briefly Reunited
- 1:30PM Few Details Emerge As the Search for Malaysia Airlines Jet Continues
- 10:41AM Rand Paul Won the 2014 CPAC Straw Poll
- 8:00AM Raging Against Hacks With Muckraker Turned Magazine-Maker Matt Taibbi
- 5:20PM Sleepy Teen Interrupted Subway Service
- 3:55PM Michele Bachmann Will Know the ‘Right’ Female President When She Sees Her
- 3:05PM The New FiveThirtyEight Launches Very Soon