Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 9:35AM What We Know So Far About ‘Jihadi John,’ James Foley’s ISIS Executioner
- 4:15AM Peace Holds in Ferguson for a Second Night
- 2:35AM FIT Student Became an Unwitting Drug Mule During Her Summer Vacation
- 2:01AM In Fight Against ISIS, U.S. Mulls Expanding into Syria
- 10:58PM Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan Want Each Other to Run for President in 2016
- 6:31PM Mo’ne Davis Is the Only Reason Anyone Cares About the Little League World Series
- 5:51PM It Turns Out a Monkey Really Does Kind of Own Its Selfies
- 5:06PM Other Things Called ISIS Not Necessarily Changing Their Names
- 4:40PM Totally Racist Ferguson Political Cartoon ‘Certainly’ Not Racist ‘in Intent,’ Editor Claims
- 4:05PM Don Lemon’s Interview With Talib Kweli Was Completely Bonkers
- 3:32PM Anti-Abortion Activists Are Doing Their Own Ice Bucket Challenges
- 3:28PM This Very Angry Williamsburg Resident Really Hates Hipsters