Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 4:16PM Switzerland Thinks John Kerry Is a Sexy Rock Star
- 3:09PM East Village Explosion Victims Reunited With Their Beloved Cats
- 1:31PM Indiana, Arkansas, and the GOP’s Disastrous Anti-Gay Bigotry
- 1:06PM 3 Women Arrested for Heinous Crime of Selling Churros
- 1:06PM Arkansas Governor Decides He Doesn’t Want to Be Yelled At
- 10:12AM Indiana Pizza Place Deals Crushing Blow to the Zero Gay Couples Planning Pizza-Themed Weddings
- 9:44AM Diplomats Ask for an Extension on Writing Up Iran Negotiations
- 9:10AM Getty Oil Heir Found Dead in His Hollywood Home
- 8:21AM Is Vice Getting Nice?
- 6:05AM Why Arkansas Lawmakers Claim They Need a Religious-Freedom Law
- 1:16AM Attempt to Hide Gas Siphoning May Have Caused East Village Blast
- 10:50PM Scott Walker Determined to Become President Despite Dog Allergy