Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 4:27AM People are Dying Because of a Heatwave in Japan
- 1:00AM A Probate Court Upheld Shelly Sterling's Right to Sell the LA Clippers
- 11:52PM Obama Administration Says Russia Violated Cold War-Era Treaty
- 5:50PM Pregnant Woman Receives What Appears to Be the Latest NYPD Chokehold While Grilling on the Sidewalk
- 5:10PM I Have Mocked Ross Douthat One Time Too Many
- 4:54PM Freedomtastic GIFs of Sarah Palin’s New $99.95-a-Year Internet Video Channel
- 4:16PM Why Dollar Stores Are Having a Hard Time Making a Buck
- 3:30PM Israeli Prime Minister Talks About ‘Prolonged’ Operation in Gaza As Violence Resumes
- 2:10PM Shoot-out at West Village Head Shop Wounds 2 U.S. Marshals, 1 NYPD Officer; Suspect Killed
- 12:56PM New York City Is Loving Lyft Into Uselessness
- 12:29PM Watch a Staten Island Kid in a ‘R.I.P. Eric Garner’ Shirt Dunk Over Cop Car
- 11:47AM Using Synthetic Weed Is Still a Bad Idea