Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 5:42PM Kansas Parents Worried That Michelle Obama Will Upstage Their High Schoolers
- 3:30PM Metro-North Train Nearly Takes Out Senator During Safety Press Conference
- 1:40PM Woman Taken Into Custody After Trying to Steal a Baby in Chelsea
- 12:46PM Rebel Group Frees French Journalists Kidnapped in Syria
- 11:56AM Captain and Crew Members of Sunken South Korean Ferry Arrested
- 11:24AM Brave Teen Asks Miss America to Prom, Ends Up Suspended
- 5:26PM NYPD Hits Drunk-Driving Hat Trick (in a Bad Way)
- 4:22PM Portland Teen Who Peed in Drinking-Water Reservoir Has a Point
- 2:55PM The White House Fox Is a Star
- 2:06PM Taxi Driver Charged With Driving Crazy Enough to Save $28,000 in Tolls
- 1:53PM American Politics: Not Just for White People
- 1:34PM Bronx Man Who Claims He Fell Into a Sinkhole Probably Lying