Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 6:02PM 12-Year-Old Slender Man Stabbing Suspect Ruled Incompetent to Stand Trial
- 5:41PM Barack Obama: ‘We Tortured Some Folks’
- 4:50PM Medical Examiner Says That NYPD Chokehold Killed Eric Garner
- 3:30PM How a Hedge-Fund Billionaire and an Octogenarian Judge Pushed a Whole South American Country Into Default
- 3:18PM Israeli Website Deletes Op-ed Suggesting Genocide Is a ‘Permissible’ Option in Gaza [Updated]
- 1:44PM Facebook Went Down at the Worst Possible Time
- 1:33PM Sorry, Obamacare Denialists, You’re Insane
- 11:10AM This Dude Exposed Himself to a Woman on the E Train
- 10:17AM This Photo of a Newborn Baby Is One of the Most Heartbreaking and Disturbing Images to Come Out the Gaza War
- 10:00AM The News About Jobs Remains Relentlessly Good, If Not Quite Fantastic or Exciting
- 9:58AM Israel and Hamas Blame Each Other for Quick End to Cease-fire in Gaza
- 8:30AM What Happened to the Glorious, Mysterious Google Barge?