Director Spike Jonze has made the weirdest, most timely romance of the year—in which Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with an operating system. And, as with so many love stories, the making of the movie was equal parts turbulence and passion.
On the eve of a new Supreme Court session, the firebrand justice discusses gay rights, media echo chambers, and how much he cares about his intellectual legacy (“I don’t”).
Is there such a thing? Just ask your children.
The National Interest
Washington couldn’t have gone dark without a radicalized Republican Party. Or maybe it was destined to all along.
Mayor Bloomberg says it is. But he's going to need some better evidence.
A-Rod’s juicy lawsuit against Major League Baseball.
Real Estate & Neighborhoods
Exit, Bear Stearns. Enter, Grumpy Cat.
They may have missed the playoffs, but the richest sports franchise in America won’t be down for long.
Developers rush to build before the next mayor ruins the fun.
- 6:46PM The Pope’s Mass Chair Arrives in Madison Square Garden
- 6:26PM Donald Trump Says Jeb Bush Should Be ‘Speaking English’
- 4:00PM Thousands of Migrants Are Protesting Outside a Train Station in Hungary, As Europe’s Crisis Keeps Getting Worse [Updated]
- 3:53PM Judge Lets Marilyn Mosby Stay on Freddie Gray Case
- 2:41PM Obama Now Has Enough Votes to Get a Big Iran Deal Win [Updated]
- 2:19PM New Yorkers Only Need to Wait a Half-Century for Subway Stations to Be in Great Shape
- 1:49PM California Is Curbing Solitary Confinement. That’s a Great Sign for America’s Prison System.
- 11:25AM De Blasio Says NYC Won’t Go Back to ‘Bad Old Days’ As New Problems Greet Homeless Crisis
- 11:12AM Trump vs. Everybody Is the New McCain vs. Bush
- 9:14AM Rikers Inmate Beaten by Guards in 2012 Reportedly Gets 6-Figure Settlement
- 4:26AM Los Angeles Is in the Running to Host the 2024 Olympic Games
- 3:51AM Obama Only Needs One More Vote to Secure the Iran Deal