1. What Dad doesn't love planes? This Saturday and Sunday, fuel his need for speed at the Red Bull Air Race, where the world's best pilots race in competitions that combine agility, precision, and skill. Better yet, watch the races from a boat.
2. If you have one of those "with it" Dads, he should love the outdoor music offerings this weekend, like the Band of Horses/Grizzly Bear show at the Williamsburg Waterfront, or the Morning Benders/Freelance Whales set at The Beach at Governors Island.
3. NYC Parks have plenty of offerings for the Dad that likes to frolic in nature: from fishing to bird watching, to a Discovery tour at the Prospect Park Audubon Center. And it's all free!
4. Governors Island's Brewfest: a fun-loving extravaganza with live music, local food, and over 300 craft ales from 100 breweries. Dad will abide.
5. The whole family can get into the Summer Solstice celebration at the American Museum of Natural History, with events including solar-car racing and viewing sunspots through telescopes. Wow your pops by telling him that the event coincides with the ten years of the Rose Center for Earth and Space, and the 75th anniversary of the Hayden Planetarium.
6. If Dad's never been to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade, this is an excellent year to check it out: Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson are King Neptune and Queen Mermaid. While you're there, treat him to some delicious cheap eats and a stomach-flipping ride at the newly-opened Luna Park.
7. Wind down with some hot jazz courtesy of the CareFusion and Vision Jazz Festivals. You'll totally be his favorite after this.