1) One of the best parts about summer in the city is all the free outdoor shows, and this summer is no exception. Union Pool in Williamsburg has a new backyard series called, fittingly, Summer Thunder, with this week's installment featuring TVOTR's Kyp Malone and his band Rain Machine.
2) In the mood for some some hip-hop? Lyricist Talib Kweli is paired with a screening of Brooklyn Boheme in Bed Stuy, narrated and written by Nelson George ...
3) While rappers Sean Price, Buckshot, Smif-n-Wessun, Masta Ace, Joey Bada$$ w/ Pro Era, Maffew Ragazino, YC the Cynic, and more go full throttle at Brooklyn's Betsey Head Park, with free Red Bull and BBQ, the fuel of champions.
4) Mix it up classical-style when Yasiin Bey (formerly known as Mos Def) joins the enterprising Brooklyn Philharmonic on June 9 ...
6) While on June 12, the New York Pops collaborate with Ozomatli in Central Park, with special guests Harlem School of the Arts.
7) Kids will love climbing on art at Governors Island or the jugglers at the Museum Mile festival.
9) The boardwalk at Coney Island is always free , but only on Fridays can you pay wish at the aquarium. Staring on June 15, there will be fireworks every Friday, and on June 16, you can take your pet for a ride on the Wonder Wheel. Photo op!
10) Or see your animals—including Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another—in competition form with the Belmont Stakes in Belmont Park this Saturday. Hang gratis in the large outdoor area, with plenty of chairs and benches (getting into the track will cost you $10).
11) Catch some theatah (say it just like that) at Shakespeare in the Park, this year doing As You Like It and Into the Woods ...
12) Or enrich your mind at the Bryant Park Reading Room, which hosts Andy Cohen next Wednesday, June 13. Now go outside!