1. It's festival city! Representing the silver screen, the New York Jewish Film Festival runs January 8 through 23 at Lincoln Center, featuring world premieres and a focus on filmmaker and graphic designer extraordinaire Saul Bass.
4. While the Winter Jazzfest closes out its ten-year anniversary with over 80 groups performing in multiple venues over two nights, Friday and Saturday. It's $35 for one day and $55 for the whole shebang.
5.Check out the music of the world at Webster Hall's annual globalFEST ...
6. Or hear the voices in your head IRL at the two-day comedic NYC Podfest, with up-and-coming talent plus old faves like Kevin Allison's "Risk!"
7. Speaking of things that make you go "ha," Mike Birbiglia will be working his stuff out all weekend at the Cherry Lane Theater. He requests that you don't wear a tux. But hey, if you want to, wear a tux!
8. Or you can catch author George Saunders discussing comedy and satire with Ben Stiller on Friday at McNally Jackson.
11. Think you'll feel boozy on Friday? So will David Wondrich, Katherine Lanpher, and more, who will read bar-themed selections in honor of the paperback release of Rosie Schaap's Drinking With Men at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe.
12. But if the music's in you, swing by Barclays on Sunday or Monday, where relative unknown Jay Z will be party-starting in Brooklyn. Happy weekend!