(Photo: Roger Kisby/Getty Images)
1. It's finally happening! M.I.A's Hard NYC concert takes over Governors Island on Saturday with Sleigh Bells, Die Antwoord, Ninjasonik, and more. Check out the schedule here, and if you want to brush up on a few of the acts, read Lizzy Goodman's cheat sheet here.
2. See why the mayor of Portland, Oregon, has a portrait of front man Isaac Brock hanging in his office when Modest Mouse plays a Williamsburg Waterfront benefit show.
3. In the mood for some noise rock? Emo kings Cap'n Jazz headline a Jelly NYC Pool Party with Lightning Bolt, No Age, and the Death Set, Sunday at East River State Park.
4. Maybe you're more into old-school punk pioneers. Kraut returns to Queens to headline the third annual, three-stage, daylong Astoria Music Now! festival. Also on hand will be live graffiti from 5 Pointz artists, celebrity comedians, free yoga, and more.
5. Boats are always welcome on hot summer days. This weekend Rocks Off Concert Cruises offers the bluesy Great Divide and country rockers Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers...
6. ...or stay on land near the water as the River to River festival hosts up-and-comers (with vintage-y sounds) Free Energy and Best Coast at the South Street Seaport.
7. But maybe new is not your thing. Maybe you like your rockers old...and Canadian. And for you, friend, there's Rush at the Nikon at Jones Beach Theater.
8. But maybe you'd rather stick around the boroughs with Celebrate Brooklyn's groove-tastic electro-Latin Bomba Estéreo show at the Prospect Park Bandshell...
9. ...or MoMA P.S. 1's Warm Up, which on Saturday welcomes J.D. Samson of Le Tigre's other band, Men. Samson will also D.J., 'cause it's an outdoor party!