- April 25, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Urban Renewal
As abundant sunshine coaxed into bloom the Bradford-pear trees lining the city’s sidewalks, change and renewal seemed to be in the air.
- April 11, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Wet Spell
Although Spring had just begun, some New Yorkers were already visibly sweating.
- May 2, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Say What?
In a week of memorable words—“Habemus papam,” intoned an old man in red; “One final one, and then I stop,” vowed a six-time Tour de France champion—some of the most momentous were uttered by New Yorkers.
- January 10, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- The Big Chill
With Christmas and Hanukkah but a distant memory, the seven days of Kwanzaa finally over, the last Nutcracker performed, and the revelry of New Year’s Eve concluded, New York could no longer ignore the words of the poet: Winter is iccumen in, Lhude sing Goddamm!
- March 28, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Fame and Fortunes
It was a week of mixed fortunes in New York.
- May 23, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- From High to Quite Low
It was a week crowded with culture, some of it elevated, some not.
- February 14, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Filled With Regrets
By week’s end, New Yorkers were more than willing to heed the sage’s advice to those consumed by regret: Do all you can to mitigate the harm caused by your behavior, and resolve not to be so foolish again.
- February 7, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Fire and Ice
Although the iniquitous were mostly out of town New York was hit by blows of fire and ice that felt like divine retribution.
- December 6, 2004 | It Happened Last Week
- Home Over the Holidays
The city’s nerve endings were a-tingle as it entered the mad whirl of gaiety that commences with Thanksgiving and ends in the wee hours of New Year’s Day.
- May 9, 2005 | It Happened Last Week
- Show and Tell
Owing perhaps to the scent of blossoms in the air, it was a week that found the city in an unusually revealing mood.