- March 13, 2006 | The Pop Music Review
Absent the meandering grooves that were usually his trademark, it sounds like the Kanye West discography thrown into a blender—hundreds of chewy and gooey morsels of soul vocals, to be gobbled in rapid succession.
- February 13, 2006 | The Pop Music Review
- All Yesterday’s Parties
British rock may be stuck in the past, but it can still sound great, provided the singer isn’t a complete coke fiend.
- December 19, 2005 | Culture Awards
Kanye West called out George Bush, Mariah and Madonna came back from the dead, and every sixties band put out an album. But the micro-trends made music interesting this year: The Internet finally broke bands, Houston emerged as rap’s hottest city, folk flew its freak flag, and Britain gave us grime and cyber-girl pop.
- November 28, 2005 | Pop Music Review
- Girls Gone Mild
Madonna and Kate Bush return to action with decidedly different notions of growing old gracefully.
- October 10, 2005 | Feature
- A World-Class Drama Queen
Fiona Apple can’t seem to do anything without causing a fuss. But the songs are worth it.
- August 8, 2005 | Travel
- Since the Last Time You Were in Tokyo
Shopping temples, Ducasse’s take on Japanese food, and a luxury-hotel boom.
- February 23, 2004 | Ask New York
- Where Can I Find a Trustworthy Contractor?
I need to take care of some home repairs, but I don’t know a good handyman, and the Yellow Pages are too random. Is there a better way to find a contractor?