- March 28, 2005 | The Book Review
- Heart of Glass
Ian McEwan raises big questions that his cold, controlling muse can’t answer.
- November 1, 2004 | The Book Review
- Boys on the Bus
Novelist Stephen Elliott unleashes his wounded innocence on Campaign 2004.
- January 3, 2005 | The Book Review
- The Way We Don't Quite Live Now
A ballyhooed Corrections knockoff from Down Under points up the stalled state of the social novel.
- February 21, 2005 | The Book Review
- Atrocity Exhibition
A Canadian general recounts his efforts to stop the Rwandan genocide—and then to remain sane.
- April 25, 2005 | The Book Review
- From Beyond
Michel Houellebecq, France’s bard of sex and anomie, ﬁnds an unlikely kindred spirit in H. P. Lovecraft.
- November 14, 2005 | Feature
- Last Exit to Baghdad
The first soldier memoirs and a sweeping history describe a war unlike any we’ve ever known.
- September 19, 2005 | Feature
- 7 2/3 Innings With Salman
Like his beloved Yankees, Rushdie is struggling to play up to expectations.