- June 21, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Dull Roar
PJ Harvey is back to her old angry self, but she can’t quite hold our attention like she once could. Plus, the loner-loser roots of electronic music.
- October 16, 2000 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief:
"Tiny Reminders" and "Let's Get Ready . . ."
- April 28, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- The War at Home
New albums from Madonna and a mostly reunited Fleetwood Mac take aim at American foreign policy, making us wonder: What planet are they living on?
- February 24, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- Dodging the Bullet
Rapper 50 Cent has seen his share of violence, a subject that imbues his debut album with an overwhelming grimness; Human League still has the power to surprise.
- October 15, 2001 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief
Jay-Z's paeans to a player's paradise fall even flatter now.
- November 3, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- No Smoking
The Strokes’ Room on Fire is more fizzle than sizzle, but on his first album, D.J. Ricardo Villalobos breathes life into minimal techno.
- September 23, 2002 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Coldplay and Queens of the Stone Age
Ethan Brown reviews new albums from Coldplay and Queens of the Stone Age
- October 25, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Beats, With a Touch of Blues
Raphael Saadiq isn’t as celebrated as Timbaland or the Neptunes, but as a producer he has a lot more depth; a reggae singer who lets loose.
- August 15, 2005 | Feature
- Influences: Brian Wilson
The lost Beach Boy's favorite things—Phil Spector, Arthur Koestler, and Celine Dion's legs.
- April 11, 2005 | Feature
- Influences: Al Green
I watch The Apprentice. I like when he tells ’em “You’re fired!”