- June 7, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Straight Talk
The British rapper Mike Skinner, a.k.a. the Streets, lets us back into his weird, obsessive life on his surprisingly powerful sophomore record.
- May 24, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Morrissey Loves Company
The ex-Smiths singer has made a startling comeback by reminding old fans how sad and lonely they used to be.
- May 10, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Loretta Lynn and Jack White
From The Smiths to Nirvana, much of the best pop and rock music has been made by fans.
- April 26, 2004 | Intelligencer
- Blogs Over Baghdad
A new set of Iraqi bloggers on the ongoing war.
- April 26, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- A New Reign
Prince has been disappointing for a decade. But just when expectations could hardly scrape any lower, he has made a great record.
- April 12, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Out of Touch
While other eighties pop stars are redefining themselves as entertainers and sexual icons, Janet Jackson seems oddly stuck in time.
- March 22, 2004 | Intelligencer
- Booked Club
What really takes place after hours? A close reading of the Sound Factory indictment.
- March 8, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Key West
Producer Kanye West makes his rapping debut with an album suffused with emotion; disco auteur Arthur Russell gets his due, posthumously.
- February 23, 2004 | Cityside
- Closing Time?
A proposed after-hours license looms like an apocalyptic last call over everyone from Lotus to Schiller's. Club owners' alternative: Let us have cops!
- February 23, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Norah Jones
Ethan Brown reviews Feels Like Home by Norah Jones.