- February 16, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Get Lost
Escape into Kylie Minogue’s warm and cozy electro; Courtney Love goes solo; the Walkmen need to get out some more.
- February 2, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Twista and The Glimmer Twins
Ethan Brown reviews new releases from Twista and The Glimmer Twins.
- January 5, 2004 | Pop Music Review
- Pop Stars
Recording artists working everywhere from Brooklyn to Berlin made it a surprisingly rich year—despite fears that piracy would kill the industry.
- December 22, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- Soul on Ice
One of rock’s greatest ever, R&B-loving Talking Heads deserve a better retrospective; Kelis’s second album stays her oddly endearing course.
- December 8, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- Get Back
Stripping the Beatles’ final album of Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound, Paul McCartney exposes “The Long and Winding Road”—warts and all.
- December 1, 2003 | Feature
- Got Beef?
The hip-hop world is at war. Vicious rhymes are flying between 50 Cent and Ja Rule, both products of the mean streets of southeast Queens. Bullets are flying, too—50 was famously shot nine times—though no one can prove who’s shooting. All this violence has helped to sell records. But when is the price too high?
- November 24, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Jay-Z
Ethan Brown reviews Jay-Z's The Black Album.
- November 17, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Pink and K.I.M.
Ethan Brown reviews new releases by Pink and K.I.M.
- November 3, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- No Smoking
The Strokes’ Room on Fire is more fizzle than sizzle, but on his first album, D.J. Ricardo Villalobos breathes life into minimal techno.
- October 20, 2003 | Pop Music Review
- In Brief: Rufus Wainwright and Emmylou Harris
Ethan Brown reviews new releases by Rufus Wainwright and Emmylou Harris.