- August 10, 1998 | Theater Review
- In Brief: "An Evening With Jerry Herman"
"An Evening With Jerry Herman" is a tribute to a musical master.
- April 10, 2000 | Theater Review
- Pyramid Scheme
In a numbingly Disneyfied adaptation by Elton John and Tim Rice, the once celestial "Aida" is decked out in gaudy finery and cheap platitudes.
- February 24, 2003 | Theater Review
- Of Thee I Sing
A revival of Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom reaffirms its power; Michael John LaChiusa’s latest is just notes.
- December 16, 2002 | Theater Review
- Take Back the Knight
Brian Stokes Mitchell's rousing baritone can't lift Man of La Mancha above mediocrity; Paul Newman thinks he's a movie star; Regina Taylor nearly pulls a hat trick with Crowns.
- February 22, 1999 | Theater Review
- Death-Defying Acts
On the fiftieth anniversary of the timeworn classic, a talented director and a solid cast led by Brian Dennehy breathe new life into "Death of a Salesman."
- January 12, 1998 | Theater Review
- Death of a Stevedore
Despite some fine acting, Arthur Miller's "The View From the Bridge" suffers from the same poetic pomposity that has afflicted much of his work.
- May 24, 1999 | Theater Review
- The Sounder Music
This year, "Encores!" hasn't been the triple threat it usually is, but it's still good enough to put all other current musicals to shame.
- November 27, 2000 | Theater Review
- Ephemeral Live
668 to 673; at the Joyce Theater.
Garth Fagan Dance
Choreographed by Garth Fagan; at the Joyce Theater.
- October 18, 1999 | Theater Review
- Damaged Goods
Centering on six embattled spouses, Brian Friel's latest, "Give Me Your Answer, Do!" raises disturbing questions about modern marriage.
- June 1, 1998 | Theater Review
- In Brief: "Nasty Little Secrets
"Nasty Little Secrets" is delicious, disturbing, and deep.