- June 28, 2004 | Intelligencer
- Rough Riders
“If you’re not willing to get hurt, why do it?” For these bike gangs, summer fun means jousting, crashing, and braving “the Whiplash.”
- November 3, 2003 | Intelligencer
- If The Shoe Fits, You Must Be Trying To Look Like Uma
What sort of hip (or not so hip) New Yorkers wear which of the season’s cool sneakers?
- September 8, 2003 | Feature
- You Can Find Them in Da Club?!?
From Hebrew homies to homo thugs, meet the new wave of novelty rappers.
- October 27, 2003 | Feature
- Age of Anxiety
Not everyone can be as rich as Bill Gates by 30.
- October 7, 2002 | Top Five
- Private Libraries
The New York Public Library on 42nd Street is a civic treasure. But the city is strewn with specialist collections and reading rooms that -- for modest fees -- offer quiet and respite from Net-surfing term-paper writers.
- October 21, 2002 | Top Five
- Offbeat Street Eats
Forget Sabrett hot dogs and those "meat"-over-rice combos. New York's best sidewalk cuisine is flavored by nearly every nation on earth.
- November 4, 2002 | Feature
- Eggers's Slow Velocity
He may be a literary rock star, but Dave Eggers is no Eminem. Check out sales of his new book at indie New York bookstores.
- November 11, 2002 | Feature
- One Life to Limn by Michiko Kakutani
Dave Eggers, Donna Tartt, and Zadie Smith must be licking their wounds after Times critic Michiko Kakutani's recent drubbing of their sophomore books. But if they want to get back in her good graces, they should stop licking and start limning.
- February 27, 2006 | Change Your Life
- New Yorkers Are Also Fleeing To...
For aspiring Masters of the Universe, there is only one place to go: China’s hyperbolically bustling financial capital.
- February 23, 2004 | Test Drive
- Super Nova
Bagels and lox is a New York tradition—but whose salmon is freshest?