- November 6, 2006 | Feature
- So Funny It Hurts
Borat’s uproarious, until he’s not. Riding the new wave of squirm comedy.
- November 6, 2006 | The Movie Review
- All About My Dead Mother
Volver’s heady pleasures expire a little too soon. Death of a President is a sleepy provocation.
- October 30, 2006 | The Movie Review
- Mommy Weirdest
No one does bad parenting better than Annette Bening. Plus: Dirty Harry’s anti-violence campaign.
- October 16, 2006 | Feature
- Jackpot! Altman’s ‘California Split’
California Split begins with Altmanesque babble, which is always in the background. We’re used to gambling movies made in a style as feverish as their protagonists. But Altman sits back and watches the ebb and flow—the traffic of lost souls.
- October 16, 2006 | The Movie Review
- Palace Coup
Leave the rich girl alone. Music aside, Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette is far from a royal disgrace.
- October 9, 2006 | The Movie Review
- Rats in a Cage
Everyone’s going to hell in The Departed, and Martin Scorsese has fun killing them off along the way.
- October 2, 2006 | The Movie Review
- All Hail “The Queen”
And bow down to Helen Mirren. A wonderful film about cool, clueless Elizabeth in the days after Diana.
- September 25, 2006 | The Movie Review
- Wake-up Fall
In The Science of Sleep, Michel Gondry’s magic-carpet ride almost makes it through the night.
- September 18, 2006 | The Movie Review
- L.A. Stories
De Palma wilts and Affleck is eh. Plus: scruffy crusader Al Franken.
- August 25, 2006 | The Movie Review
- Stir Crazy
Outkast's energetic mishmash of a movie musical. Plus: the gross-out spectacle of How to Eat Fried Worms.