- April 24, 2006
- The Close-Up Is Her Voodoo
What makes Julia Roberts the ultimate movie star—and how is that different from being an actress? Reflections on a Hollywood career and a Broadway debut.
- October 29, 2007 | The Movie Review
- ‘Devil’ Worship
Sidney Lumet lovers, rejoice! Plus: The small problem with Ryan Gosling’s sex-doll movie.
- October 22, 2007 | The Movie Review
- Ways of Making You Talk
Rendition is rousing despite itself. Plus: Dead-kid season in Hollywood.
- October 15, 2007 | The Movie Review
- What’s It All About, Anyway?
Sleuth is Pinter lite (a relief); We Own the Night does, basically.
- October 8, 2007 | The Movie Review
- Scandal Janitor
In Michael Clayton, George Clooney uses his mask of glamour to excellent effect. Plus: The movie on abortion?
- March 26, 2007 | The Movie Review
- A Mighty Wind
The politics may be familiar, but Ken Loach’s harshly beautiful new film delivers some satisfying surprises.
- October 1, 2007 |
- Coen Heads
The mind-melded Coen brothers have made a brilliant fetish out of favoring form over content. But now, with No Country for Old Men, they may have discovered they don’t have to choose one over the other.
- October 1, 2007 | The Movie Review
- Clickety Clack
Ang Lee finds the perfect sex game for himself, while Wes Anderson discovers India by train.
- September 24, 2007 | The Movie Review
- The Forest for the Trees
Sean Penn can’t quite find his path in Into the Wild. Plus: Global-warming horror! (Quick, take refuge at Toots Shor’s.)
- September 17, 2007 | The Movie Review
- Post-Traumatic Mystery
Compared with Crash, Paul Haggis’s Iraq film is devastatingly restrained. Plus: Russell Crowe’s laughing eyes and Jodie Foster’s weird mistake.