- August 10, 2009 | The Movie Review
At least the Julia Child portions of Julie & Julia are scrumptious. Plus: Miyazaki’s poetic Ponyo.
- October 13, 2008 | The Movie Review
- Demme’s Dazzler
The director’s Rachel Getting Married spins gold out of the very bleak. Plus, Body of Lies launches a new star.
- May 10, 2010 | The Movie Review
- Battle of the Rehabbed Stars
Iron Man 2 pits Robert Downey Jr. against Mickey Rourke, with crazy-good results.
- May 24, 2010 | The Movie Review
- Come Back, Errol Flynn
Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood steals from a rich legacy while ripping off poor moviegoers.
- November 23, 2009 | The Movie Review
- The Feel-Bad Movie of the Year
You thought you were depressed—and then you saw The Road.
- March 8, 2010 | The Movie Review
- Welcome to the Fun House
Tim Burton’s Alice isn’t quite Lewis Carroll’s, but it has it’s own delightfully garish soul.
- February 22, 2010 | The Movie Review
- Intimate Malice
The mind games of chilling prison drama A Prophet and Shutter Island.
- July 28, 2008 | The Movie Review
- Folie à Deux
A heist picture about one of the greatest stunts in New York history.
- January 18, 2010 | The Movie Review
- No Happiness Please, We’re British
Fish Tank’s working-class lass never turns into a plucky cliché. Plus: Michael Cera, sex machine?
- June 28, 2010 | The Movie Review
- Sweet Escape
Pixar’s Toy Story 3 is a blockbuster with heart, as splendid as the previous two, and tinged with the same ache of nostalgia that drives summer memories.