- October 3, 2011 | The Movie Review
- The End Is Here
Rich emotional detailing sets Take Shelter apart from the easy familiarity of apocalypto-porn.
- September 26, 2011 | The Movie Review
Brad Pitt is the MVP of stats-drama Moneyball; Weekend hits home.
- September 19, 2011 | The Movie Review
- Bleed Racer
Drivedoesn’t go anywhere, despite Gosling and gore. Plus: Hollywood’s greatest (flawed) new female auteur.
- August 8, 2011 | The Movie Review
- When Humans Fight Back
Cowboys & Aliens and Attack the Block are both bubblegum fun. But only one feels like it has a soul.
- August 1, 2011 | The Movie Review
- Down the Escape Hatch
In Miranda July’s The Future, never mind the defeated protagonists—even the cat’s a little fatalistic.
- July 18, 2011 | The Movie Review
- Last Stop on the Hogwarts Express
Does the final Harry Potter cast a spell? Plus: Errol Morris’s juicy Tabloid.
- July 11, 2011 | The Movie Review
- Quiet Without Desperation
Larry Crowne takes a warm look at cold commerce. Plus: the power of Project Nim.
- June 13, 2011 | The Movie Review
- A Really Close Encounter
Super 8 flagrantly cribs from the man who invented the summer blockbuster.
- June 6, 2011 | Feature
- Plummer’s Peak
The actor on bar-hopping with Robards, despising Gretl, and mocking Malick.
- June 6, 2011 | The Movie Review
- A Nuttier Tree of Life
The wonderful Beginners looks at love, family, and the awkward spots where they collide.