- March 7, 2005
- I'm in the Mood for Greens and Crunch.
Chef Larry Forgione likes the idea of braving a department store. That's where we discover the stylish elegance and crunch of slaw-style salads at An American Place.
- February 28, 2005
- The Windows on the World Guys? At Guastavinos?
Do I detect a fatal tameness, a desire not to offend anyone’s uptight mother-in-law?
- February 14, 2005
- I’m Dreaming of Summer in Kennebunkport.
Latch onto the glorified lobster shack launched as phase one of BLT Fish—the latest love child of Laurent Tourondel’s crush on American cooking.
- February 7, 2005
- Compass Yet Again? Can I Trust You?
Chefs and pâtissiers come and go, soar and crash, at Compass, where desperate powers that be struggle to get it right.
- January 24, 2005
- Do We Really Need Yet Another Italian Restaurant?
If it’s good, I say, let’s mangia.
- January 17, 2005
- After Rocco, What? And Should We Care?
Numbing and mysterious Brazilian tricks tumbling out of the kitchen at Caviar & Banana Brasserio have swiftly exorcised the ghost of the house that used to be Rocco’s.
- January 10, 2005
- Why on Earth Call Your Place Porcupine?
The small armored critter you and I fear strikes chef Matthew Weingarten as wild but cuddly—“rustic, like my food.”
- December 13, 2004
- Should I Break Open the Piggy Bank to Celebrate Chanterelle’s 25th Year?
Chanterelle is the same unique grand drama of ﬁne dining in the desolate blackness of unexploited Soho 25 years ago.
- December 6, 2004
- Is There a Dining Imperative On Your List?
Only a few weeks remain to say adieu to Le Cirque 2000 before it expires forever with a black-tie New Year’s Eve bang.
- November 22, 2004
- What in the World Is New York Cuisine?
What in the World Is New York Cuisine?